Saturday, January 08, 2011

"It wanted your tears, not your blood"

Well I've finally done it. I finished a complete series of a show, something I've never accomplished due to losing interest or general lack of enthusiasm to sit in front of a TV that long. Surprisingly, the show that stole my heart was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. While there are irksome moments throughout the series (sex still sells even on a 'Hellmouth'), I was continually drawn back by the profound statements and understanding of the soul.
The line 'it wanted your tears, not your blood' refers to the redemption of a character that had originally 'switched' to the good side for the mere purpose of staying alive. He attempted to win the crowd by doing good things, like baking cookies or helping them strategize. But his conviction and understanding of goodness only developed after he confessed his guilt of killing his best friend. He broke down in tears, expecting to have to shed his own blood in order to redeem the evil he had committed (and stop the Hellmouth demons from attacking,etc.). However, the tears alone stopped the evil creatures from their continued rampage. The gate was closed, not from any bloodshed, but from the act of confession. It required tears.

I can't help but think about our own salvation. Our tears are precious... they open us to a new understanding of Christ's sacrifice, of his grace and goodness. We cannot try and 'win back our soul' through good, safe acts. It is only when we are on our knees, when we stop trying to redeem ourselves on our own, when our heart is raw, that we find truth. Christ has already paid the sacrifice. Christ is calling for our tears, our need of him.
And that Truth is life-giving.

No comments: